Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Poem for Valentines

As it turns out, Shakespearean sonnets are awfully difficult. This one took over an hour. Last year's fake Chaucer report was a lot easier.

Warm embraces, thoughtful gifts from your heart
are the thing, if you and your lover go
together like bean burritos and farts,
or perhaps like February with snow.
If you pair up together like stink with
its shit, if your true love is forever,
eternal, give them a hug and a kiss
or-if you’re weird- just use whips and leather.
Be good to each other, forgive small spats,
be faithful, be true, show your affection
and gladness, just remember, dummies, that
unfaithfulness can lead to infection.
Valentine’s Day is for lovers and so
go buy gifts, and spend all your hard-earned dough.

2 comments:

Brian said...

***tear*** You had me at farts. *sniff(le) sniff(le*

Kevin said...

Good, because honestly, the only reason I wrote the poem was to rhyme heart and farts. Why I tried to adhere to Shakespearean sonnet rules I don't know, because that was a pain. I got the rhyme scheme and syllables right but the attempt at iambic pentameter is a mess. I think I'll try some revisions- and work on a better closing couplet.