Friday, December 25, 2009

Thoughts From The Fashion Guy

-I hate neckties. Ties are uncomfortable and they serve no functional purpose. They get in the way. I suppose it is feasible I could someday use a necktie to hide a stain on my shirt, but so far all I've ever done is get stains on the neckties.

-I do not hate earrings, but I absolutely, totally do not understand them, on either women or men. Who first said "You know what? I bet it would look really cool if I gouged a hole in my head and dangled a piece of metal from it!" And who said "Hey, that does look cool!"

-I feel pretty much the same about all other piercings. Okay, I've seen some women who look great with pierced navels, but I think they would have looked pretty good with or without the piercing.

-Other jewelry is alright, I guess, but I don't really understand it. And toe rings? Seriously?

-I hate shaving. Shaving is a daily hassle; there are places on my neck, ears, and under my nose that seem geometrically impossible to shave, and yet I continue to try because the only thing worse than shaving my face is NOT shaving my face. I try that periodically but it looks awful and itches.

-Almost all sweaters are hot and uncomfortable. Sweaters do, however, extend the life of a shirt by a year or two. Thank you, George Costanza.

-Most clothing seems reasonably priced, with a gradual price increase for products of higher quality and with a wide variety of stops in between dirt-cheap and arm-and-a-leg. For instance, I can get a shirt for $12.99, or $20.99, or $39.99, or $59.99, etc., all the way up to the $40,000 Eton Diamond shirt (I just Googled 'expensive shirt). At each step, the increase in price seems reasonably in tune with the increase in quality.
As far as I can tell, there are only two exceptions to this rule of variety and price:
1) Athletic shoes. The more they cost, the more hideously ugly they are. Unless you like wearing space ships on your feet.
2) Mens' coats. There is no middle-range quality here. Functional, unattractive coats (the kind I wear) can be had for $60 or less, and nice ones cost a lot, lot more. There seem to be some coats priced in-between, but to get improved quality I think you have to jump from the $60 all the way to $150 or $160.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I pretty much agree on all counts. To the jewelry comments, I'll add that I don't understand high heels on women. How did that first become attractive to men? Is it because they thought it was good that the women couldn't run away from them? Was there a time when you were considered high-class or aristocratic if you complained about your feet hurting?