Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Update first: we won Sunday, 9-7. We won tonight 16-0. So my team has yet to lose in the Sunday night league, the Yogis are undefeated on Tuesdays, and we've lost four in a row on Wednesdays. Interesting, because all three leagues are of approximately the same quality. We just find a way to lose on Wednesdays.

Before tonight's game I got a chance to review the season's stats, which were tabulated sometime this week. The main reason was just to review how much playing time everyone had received, but all the stats were there.

My numbers were way down, which I already knew. But I also noticed that both my fellow board members had suffered a significant drop as well. That was interesting, and it didn't take me long to realize there was a connection.

Until this year, all three of us just showed up, got ready to play, and played. This year we spend most of our pre-game time fretting over who has not arrived, who needs to get in, who can play what position, etc. We spend very little time thinking about our own games. The time I used to spend swinging a bat and more or less thinking about the upcoming game is now spent making out a lineup, or worse, on the cell phone tracking down late arrivals.

It shows in the stats. I feel better realizing that, but I'm still not sure how to overcome it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin it is hard being important. No time to just be yourself.
Peggy