Saturday, March 14, 2009

Basketball

*Internet rumors are rampant that Billy Clyde is gone. I have no idea if that would be a good thing or a bad. I certainly wouldn't fire him, but I admit I don't care much for his coaching-yet. I also don't know how good his relationship with the A.D. is.
The rumors and ruminations about replacements are addictively funny to read, though. Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Pat Riley, Thad Motta, Travis Ford, Darrin Horn, and some high school coach are all mentioned as ideal hires, along with any coach who won a big game in the last 48 hours.
I think Billy Donovan is the funniest, though. I wouldn't go near him with a 10-foot pole after the last go-round and the way he backed out of the NBA job.

*The same people who screamed loudest that ANYONE is better than Tubby seem to be the ones who are most upset with Gillispie. They are also the ones most fixated on that 2,000-win thing (which is mostly meaningless to me. It's just a round number). I almost hate to point this out, but if Tubby had stayed I think UK would be approaching win #2,000 right about the time they play North Carolina in December, 2009.

*2009 football predictions, to beat the August rush:
W- Miami, OH-
W- Louisville
L- Florida
L- Alabama
W- South Carolina (This is the year we knock of Spurrier!)
L- Auburn
W- Louisiana-Monroe
W- Mississippi St.
W- EKU
W- Vanderbilt
L- Georgia
W- Tennessee (Why not? I'm allowed to believe it in March.)
L- Chick-fil-A Bowl (Darn, there goes the bowl winning streak and the non-conference streak)

1 comment:

Brian said...

My biggest issue with Gillispie is not is frustrating and incomprensible sub patterns or his refusal to play a zone when obviously needed. I am most upset with the way he has just about every media outlet against him because he is a jerk. And not a funny jerk like Bobby Knight or Steve Martin. Having the media hate you never leads to good things at a big program. Not too good with the boosters, either. I'll just hope for the best no matter what happens. Maybe Joker can coach basketball until Rich retires.