Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Sky Is Falling!

A loss on Senior Night? To Georgia? Georgia?!

You know, I've had this vague feeling of unease before, about other things.

When W. was elected, I thought "This isn't good. I don't know exactly what form the disaster will take, but it's going to happen. No way can a bozo like him be president without very negative consequences."

When we were gearing up for war in Iraq, I listened to all the positive spin but didn't buy it. I didn't see any way it would be anything but a mess. I wanted very badly to believe someone knew what they were doing. I thought I guess this can end up being a tremendous success, but I really don't see how. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I can't imagine what it might be...

Then there's this economy thing. I can't shake the feeling that throwing trillions of dollars (which we don't have) at the problem is going to fix it. Call me crazy.

But then it happened with something really important. Sure, the welfare of our nation and the conduct of wars is important too, I guess, but this is Kentucky basketball.

When Tubby left, a large portion of the commonwealth rejoiced. But while he was here he won a national championship, 5 SEC titles, and 26 games per year.

That's not bad at all. Whenever I mentioned it, though, the response was usually something like "yeah, but that's not good enough for Kentucky! We're used to Final Fours and Championships."

For one thing, Tubby had a championship. And since 1951, apart from that amazing stretch of 4 in 6 years during the '90's, there are 5 final four appearances in the 57 other years.
Sure, I thought the Cats would continue to be successful. I still do. But I thought there was an awfully large number of things that could go wrong, and an awfully small chance that any new coach could provide the NCAA success that fans were 'used to.'

I am not hoping Gillispie gets fired. Far from it. I would have been uneasy about the transition to any new coach, but I thought Gillispie was a pretty good hire. I was uncomfortable with the similarities to Eddie Sutton, but other than that...

But I can see the same thing happening to him that happened to Tubby. The fans were incredibly down on Tubby, even when he had a 5 year stretch as the winningest coach in the country in the early 00's, and then when he had two 'bad' years of 22 wins apiece fans acted like, well, Chicken Little. The environment made it impossible for him to recruit.
?
I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Billy Clyde. Especially since he seems like a coach who really, really needs to recruit. From what I've seen, he's not going to win with inferior talent. Or equal talent. Or marginally better talent. He better get players that are waaaaaaaay better than the other teams'. Right, Dale?

No comments: