Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Going Dutch

I finally looked up the story about the Netherlands' baseball victory over the Dominican Republic.
Here are some names from the Dominican lineup: Miguel Tejada, Jose Reyes, David Ortiz, Moises, Alou, Jose Guillen, Willy Tavarez, Miguel Olivo, Pedro Martinez, Ubaldo Jiminez, Damaso Marte.
The Netherlands were led by Sharlon Shoop, Gene Kingsale, Sidney de Jong, Tom Stuifbergen, and Leon Boyd.

Baseball fans will recognize the apparent disparity.

For you non-baseball folks, imagine
-Andy Dick beating up Russell Crowe or
-Dan Brown writing better than (pick a name, any name will do) or
-Kentucky losing a basketball game to Gardner-Webb. oops, sorry.

I guess it' not such a huge upset, though. As I understand it, the winning team had players from the Netherlands, the Dutch, and Holland. Three countries against one hardly seems fair.

And finally, I had a phrase I really wanted to use, but I just can't seem to find a spot in the narrative for it. So here it is: Rogers Hornsby and the Range.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I saw the comparison of the two teams last night on ESPN. They showed the combined MLB salaries and number of MLB games played. It looked like comparing the Yankees to a Buechel Little League team.