Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Basketball

Brian is 100% right about Jodie Meeks. It's amazing the way he can score.

But so far, when I watch Gillispie's teams play I feel a little like I'm trying to read Finnegan's Wake. It's fascinating in an indefinable way, but I have absolutely no clue what's going on and I'm not sure the authors of the mess know what's going on, either.

I still hear people say it's Tubby's fault and it takes time to rebuild. But this team has more talent than any other in the SEC, and by today's NCAA standards they aren't all that young.

Meeks and Patterson are as good or better than any duo in the country. Galloway is a talented junior, and if Gillispie feels he can't contribute he shouldn't have signed him. Miller's darned good but doesn't see the court much. By reputation he's a good shooter and exceptional scorer, but Gillispie seems to have gotten into his head and made Miller terrified to shoot the ball.
The next 5 guys might not be great, but they certainly seem talented enough to support that 4 player core.
The losses to UNC and Louisville can definitely be blamed on being out-talented. I have no problem with that. But as far as I can tell, Kentucky has had more talent than everyone else they've played, but they have quite a few losses.

So since they're struggling I have to blame the coach. It's not like I want him fired or anything. He might be fine. I'm completely undecided. He might be at UK for 20 years and win 5 championships. But this year I see no obvious reason not to conclude that Gillispie is mostly to blame for the lousy play.

One last item. I agree that man-to-man is the best defense. I don't like zones. But there is a reason zones are used so much. They often work. Last night, with Patterson out and Vandy killing Kentucky inside, a 2-3 zone would have won the game.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Galloway plays great against Florida, plays 3 minutes the next gae. We need a big body against Ogilvy of Vandy, Harrelson plays the first 2 minutes and sits the rest of the game. Meeks is creating shots by himself. I see no called plays to free him up. I agree about Galloway. Why sign him as a junior if you are afraid to play him. Frustrating.