Monday, December 1, 2008

The Day Keanu Stood Still

Ads for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" have been airing at every commercial break for a few days now.

Each time I see the ad, I imagine the director as he gets the brainstorm to cast Keanu Reeves.

"Hmmm...who can I get, who can I get? Who can I find that can recite lines that are utterly devoid of any inflection or emotion? Darn. That's a toughy. This is crucial, too. He really has to act robotic. And not 'Star Wars' robotic. No sly hidden personality. This guy's gotta show nothing. Nothing at all. Kevin Costner's too old. And really, even he might not be capable of this. I mean, he really has to be dead up there. Any sign of life will really blow it. Whoever gets this role has to be capable of--wait! I've got it! Keanu Reeves."
_________________________________________________________________

And to stick with my entertainment theme, I'll make my first non-sports prediction. (Okay, I remember I said McCain would win the election. How was I to know his campaign slogan would be "I'm a very unlikeable guy, so vote for me!" And I think I should get credit for pinpointing the exact moment that McCain lost the election, as no one else has done so.)

Anyway. "My Own Worst Enemy" has been canceled by NBC. My prediction is that it will be an very popular DVD set. It's a darned good show. I don't know how many episodes it has left, but I can see an 8 or 12 episode series selling at a pretty good rate. In fact, I suspect that might be why it wasn't yanked immediately.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I have seen the same commercial with Keanu. It looks like he is trying to do an impersonation of himself in one clip. On another topic...did you by any chance read some of the reader's comments to the article? I went to the Cincinnati Enquirer's website too. They were even more aggrevating.