Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cats put the "special" in special teams.

My friend Debbie from work has a favorite insult I find amusing. "You're special. I bet you rode the short bus to school and licked the window."

Kentucky's kicking unit is special.

Blocked punt #1 was bad. It was the third blocked kick/punt this season, which indicates some fairly substantial special teams problem.

Blocked punt #2 was worse. Just because.

Then, after the blocked field goal, the camera showed Rich Brooks yelling at the special teams coach. I couldn't help but notice that this particular coach, Steve Ortmayer, who was witnessing a performance that, being the worst special teams performance I've ever seen from any football team anywhere at any time, absolutely had to put his job in jeapordy, was *eating a candy bar while Brooks berated him.

As a fan, I find that aggravating.
But I also find it oddly amusing.

I can't remember any specific blocks prior to the Tennessee game last year, but I think there was at least one more other than that last season. And at the very least, starting with that blocked field goal in overtime, there have been 6 blocked kicks in the last 10 games.

My suggested strategy: The Cats never convert on 3rd down anyway, so the third down play call should always be a rainbowed Hail Mary pass in the hope that it will be intercepted. If unsuccessful, repeat again on 4th down.

*A minor correction: after painful review of the videotape on ESPN 360, I can not confirm that Ortmayer was, in fact, eating a candy bar. But he was eating something. It might have been jerky.

No comments: