Sunday, August 24, 2008

UK football

Though I'm a fairly avid UK fan, I've never been too interested in recruiting news. I've never been one to scour the recruiting sites and fret over whether Kentucky will get this or that high school phenom, whether in basketball or football.

But I have to admit I'm pretty excited about the verbal commitment from Morgan Newton, the QB from Indianapolis (who had a big win on ESPN yesterday, though I did not see it).

I don't think one player can greatly improve a program. But getting a 5-star quarterback can sure help a school sign other good players. Newton might be excellent himself, but I think the big impact will be in getting other quality recruits in his class and the next.

Incidentally, Newton said he went to the UK-UofL game last year as a guest of the UofL, and became interested in the Wildcats as a result. Thanks, Cards!

No comments: