Friday, August 15, 2008

Okay, here's this week's softball.

We stunk.

Gosh, I could have posted that earlier. Two words convey about everything there is to report, and it hardly took any time at all.

Actually, I was feeling under the weather the last couple of days, and I have quite an ache in my back, or my shoulder, or under my shoulder blade, or something- it's sort of hard to pinpoint, but feels like probably a muscle strain. But I no longer feel sick, and my back/shoulder pain has dropped from a discomfort level of 7 or so to about a 3, so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

So more details on softball. Tuesday, we beat Jock's in the winner's bracket final, which was a much-too-early high point of the Yogis' night.

Jock's won the loser's bracket final while we watched, then they beat us twice in a row to win the tournament.

We stunk. All three games, really, except that they just played worse than us in the first one. I don't mind too much losing to them; they're a more talented, better-hitting team, and we won three of six games against them this year. That's about all I can ask for.

What I did mind was our pathetic performance, we hit poorly, made stupid mistakes in the field and on the basepaths, and (especially) that we quickly developed a rotten attitude. Too many people were griping at each other.

That kind of thing really pisses me off.

The Wednesday night league tournament is over next week, but it doesn't involve us. For a brief summary of our two losses Wednesday, see above re: pathetic performance.

One personal bright spot: though I hit every bit as poorly as my teammates, I played excellent defense all three games Tuesday. I'm not easily impressed with my own glove, but after the games that night I thought I'd done a darned good job.

Others agreed, I heard compliments from my teammates, from the other team, and from non-players who were watching. The next night one guy told me it was the best night he'd ever seen a 3rd baseman have at St. Martha, and he's been playing there a long time.

That was nice to hear. But we still stunk.

Fall league at St. Helen's starts next week!

No comments: