Friday, April 18, 2008

Mixed message

For the last six months or so I have been included in a particular co-worker's emailing list. She sends me (and other lucky folk) stupid jokes, cutesy messages with pictures of cats, and other stuff of that ilk.

What really annoys me are the religious messages. She sends prayers and 'special thoughts' that I am supposed to forward to 10 people so I'll have good luck! If I don't forward them I will supposedly be hit by a bus the next day, or be devoured by hungry bears, or something. (public service message: I have so far deleted every message without forwarding them, and I'm still breat....AACK, look out, a rabid kangaroo!)

A few weeks ago she sent me an email endorsing prayer in public school and (as usual) inviting me to share the message with others. I had received quite a few such messages from her, and by this point I'd had enough. I very politely told her that I was an athiest, that I disagreed with her, and that I would appreciate not receiving these messages in the future.

This had no effect, and I have since received emails from her 1)warning me that Obama is a closet Muslim, 2) telling me I shouldn't use the new dollar coins because they don't say "In God We Trust" (I vowed privately to start using these coins exclusively, but then found out that the offending words were, in fact, just moved to the edge), and 3) declaring that the Ten Commandments should definitely be included in the courthouses and 'under God' should be in the Pledge because the Founding Fathers were all Christians.

Then yesterday she sent me an email saying the White House had called Critter Ridders because a beaver and a coon were trying to get in.

Personally, I think she must have missed a class or two at Sunday school.

Now the only thing bothering me is this: I can't stop wondering what it is about my personality that made her believe I wouldn't be offended by the White House email.

1 comment:

Brian said...

If I were you, I'd tell this (here comes the stereotype...let's see how close I am) overly perfumed, overly make-upped, cardigan sweater wearing, gold cross chain showing, American Idol watching Jebus freak racist to shut her hostess (not the doughnuts)eatin', sacramental wine drinking hole. By the way, did you see Chatting with Charley? It makes me so angry I could feed his fingertips to the wolverines.